National Immigrant Justice Center
208 S. LaSalle St., Suite 1300, Chicago, IL 60604
Useful documents for attorneys representing unaccompanied immigrant children
Government guidelines, forms, and other supplemental materials for pro bono attorneys representing immigrant children.
Special Immigrant Juvenile Status
- NIJC Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS) Training Manual (updated manual coming soon)
- NIJC's Memorandum to USCIS regarding challenging in the adjudication of SIJS petitions
- William R. Yates, “Memorandum #3 – Field Guidance on Special immigrant Juvenile Status Petitions,” USCIS, May 27, 2004
- Donald Neufeld, “Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008: Special Immigrant Juvenile Status Provisions,” USCIS, March 24, 2009
- USCIS Policy Memo: Implementation of the Special Immigrant Juvenile Perez-Olano Settlement Agreement, April 3, 2011
- Information regarding the settlement agreement in Perez-Olano, et al. v. Holder, et al.
- USCIS Ombudsman Recommendations: Special Immigrant Juvenile Adjudications
- Lori Scialabba, “Responses to Recommendation 47, Special Immigrant Juvenile (SIJ) Adjudications: An Opportunity for Adoption of Best Practices,” USCIS, July 13, 2011
Substantive Manuals and Guidance
- NIJC's Asylum Manual
- Asylum Office Basic Training Course Lesson 29 Guidelines for Children's Asylum Claims
- INS guidelines on children asylum claims
- UNHCR guidelines on children's asylum claims
USCIS Procedural Memoranda
- ICE Instruction Sheet for UAC Asylum Applications
- March 2009 EOIR Interim Guidance: Implementation of the TVPRA Asylum Jurisdictional Provision
- Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act (TVPRA) Practice Advisory
- USCIS Asylum Division Memo: Implementation of the Initial Jurisdiction Provision of the TVPRA for Unaccompanied Alien Children; March 25, 2009
- USCIS Asylum Division Memo: Updated Procedures for Determination of Initial Jurisdiction over Asylum Applications Filed by Unaccompanied Alien Children, May 28, 2013
- USCIS Q&A: Updated Procedures for Determination of Initial Jurisdiction over Asylum Applications Filed by Unaccompanied Alien Children.
Children and the U.S. Immigration System
- EOIR Guidelines for Immigration Court Cases Involving Unaccompanied Alien Children
- NIJC, Policy Brief: Unaccompanied Immigrant Children: Vulnerable Children Face Insurmountable Obstacles," January 2014
- UNHCR, "Children on the Run," March 12, 2014
- Center for Gender & Refugee Studies, KIND, "A Treacherous Journey: Child Migrants Navigating the U.S. Immigration System," February 2014
- Jacqueline Bhabha and Susan Schmidt, “Seeking Asylum Alone: Unaccompanied and Separated Children and Refugee Protection in the U.S.,” June 2006
- LIRS, “Working with Refugee and Immigrant Children"